Autumn Illnesses And Dangers For Dogs

Autumn Illnesses And Dangers For Dogs

It’s starting to feel pretty autumnal in Norwich (although we have has some glorious sunny days which is fantastic for October) and our dog walks are beautiful and filled with colour. This time of year however brings many hidden dangers for a dog on walks. Here are a few that will want to be aware of:

Seasonal Canine Illness (SCI)
Seasonal Canine Illness (SCI) is a mystery illness affecting dogs during the autumn; no one knows exactly what causes it. It is normally characterised by vomiting, which may be accompanied by diarrhoea and lethargy and these clinical signs are usually witnessed within three days of having roamed in a woodland area.

Unfortunately, in some cases, SCI becomes severe very quickly and, sadly, some dogs do not survive. Cases have been reported all over the UK, are generally seen from August onward, peak in September and may be seen in to November.

Head to http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/seasonal_illness.html to find out more.

Adders
This warmer weather means adders are spending more time than is usual basking in the sun during the day. We have had reports from a local vet that Adder Attacks are still happening in the Dunes around the Norfolk coast. Keep an eye out when walking in long grassy areas. Adders do not attack unless they are threatened, but a unexpected dog snout having a sniff counts as an attack and they will lunge and inflect a nasty bite on the dogs face. If this happens; head immediately to the nearest vet in the area to be given the appropriate anti venom.

Acorn Poisoning
Acorns can be deadly for dogs. While they look harmless, acorns contain a chemical called gallotannin which can make pets seriously ill and, in some cases, prove fatal. Gallotannin, which is found in young oak leaves as well as acorns, can cause tiredness, pain, vomiting, diarrhoea – and damage the liver and kidneys. If swallowed whole, the acorns themselves can cause dangerous intestinal blockages. On walks we do not let dogs munch on anything they shouldn’t as a precaution. Fallen sticks as well as acorns and conkers can become lodged in a dog’s throat and cause significant injury.

If there is anything you would like our pet parents to keep an eye out for, please do share with us and we will spread the details.

Emma

Pack Assistant Manager